I joined fit by design in July 2011 and in September Sabrina offered a learn to run clinic. Running was always something I wished I could do but at the same time was a little terrifying to me. I joined the group and I'm not gonna lie I didn't love running when I was actually running, my legs hurt and my lungs burned. What I did love was the feeling afterward knowing I had done something I never thought I could. I loved the friendships that I made through running. Truthfully it was probably the friendships that kept me committed to running for the first six months. After I completed my first race, the Vancouver Sun run, I think that was when I finally felt like a runner. The following weekend I ran my first boogie the bridge and then about a month later I registered for my first half marathon.
In July 2012 I ran my first half marathon, it was a very emotional day for me and I know that was when I realized how much I loved running and that I was never going to stop. Since then I have run 6 more half marathons and I have at least two more planned for this year. I can't imagine my life without running now. it's part of who I am. it's something that makes me feel alive. It's where I think and where some of my best friendships were made.
6 TOP TIPS FOR GETTING STARTED
1. Body glide - every runner I know will chafe a little bit at some point and it it hurts. Use body glide on those areas wherever your clothing or skin rubs. It's also really good on your feet to prevent blisters especially if you have to run in the rain
2. Water water water! Being hydrated prior to run can make a huge difference in how you feel running.
3. If you find a pair of socks or shoes that don't give you blisters or a bra that you don't get chaffing from then don't change it. I have several pairs of the same socks, shoes and underwear. Don't change what works!
4. To keep you motivated register for a run or better yet a Runcation. This will keep you committed to your training.
5. If you run solo build yourself a really good playlist, my favorite run music comes from the Rock My Run app
6. And the thing that made me love running the most is having a good friend or two to share it with. Find a running friend that has a similar pace to yours or that challenges you a bit and that will surely keep you committed and motivated.