It became clear pretty quickly that I had embarked on something quite different.
Fit By Design isn't like a gym. You don’t pay money and become just another member. You become accountable. You gain the support of a community. It becomes harder to give up because you know you have people rooting for you. With Sabrina’s leadership and the support of the other women, you have so much more than just an exercise class.
If that’s what you want, of course.
I can see why it would be easier to hide away in a gym, where it’s much easier to blend into the scenery, and eventually just not go at all.
But you’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re the kind of person that wants to grab life by the balls, or at least, thinks she does? Am I right?
If I have learnt anything over the past 2 years (and I really, really, really have!) this would be...
My top 9 truths.
1. No one is going to do it for you.
– You have all the tools you need to get the job done! At times it will be hard, but you’re the only person capable of making a change and it will only happen when you want it to.
2. You won’t get anything if you don’t ask!
– I find this to be true in every situation. If you need something, ASK. You have 50% of getting the answer you want! Need support? ASK… there is someone waiting to give you that extra push you need, or offer some help. Need your husband to empty the dishwasher - ASK.
3. Don’t dwell on what you can’t do
– Focus on what you can do and excel at that (which is probably more than you think anyway)
4. Challenge yourself to go outside of your comfort zone.
– It is liberating to try something new! If that means shaking your hips at Zumba and embracing your inner Shakira. Do it!
5. Whatever you do, have fun doing it.... and even if you still hate it, try your best.
- Life is too short not to have some fun doing something. Hate swimming? Don’t go… Love tennis, start playing! But…even if you don’t really like something, try your best. You might not like it, but at least you can walk away knowing you tried your best.
6. It doesn't help when you complain.
- It’s amazing how much happier you are when you simply focus on the positive! When you complain, you're not helping anything and you're making yourself mad.
7. Be grateful
- Because there is SO much to be grateful for. If you find yourself back at #6, write a list of 10 things that you are grateful for. It’s a mood changer!
8. Keep going
- Sometimes "shit gets real" and you find yourself chin deep in Oreos with a Costco hotdog in each hand wondering how the hell you can still steer through the Starbucks drive thru and whether your should have ordered something sweet to go with your venti Americano. I know.
Despite these minor setbacks, every journey has hiccups. Believe me, I know.
Sometimes the hiccups are more like extended blocks of time where you wonder if you're so far away from the right track if you should just keep going in the opposite direction. Put the oreos down and back away from the drive thru. If all else fails... #9.
9. Make plans
-Meal plans, exercise plans, shopping plans. Something we talk about regularly in our private facebook group. Anytime you plan, you are planning for SUCCESS. It's critical. Anytime I fail, it is because I have not planned. Simple as that.
“You have the choice this very moment – the only moment you have for certain. I hope you aren’t so wrapped up in nonessential stuff that you forget to really enjoy yourself – because this moment is about to be over. I hope you’ll look back and remember today as the day you decided to make every one count, to relish each hour as if there would never be another. And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.” Oprah Winfrey.
Now go grab life by the balls!! and DANCE! (even if someone is watching!)