Measure beans and sort out broken, shrivelled, or any bad looking ones. Rinse well.
Overnight Soak: place beans in large glass jar or bowl. Cover with plenty of water.
One Hour Soak: place beans in a large saucepan and cover with a generous amount of water. 3 to 1, water to beans ratio is a good rule of thumb. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes for larger beans like chickpeas, and 5 minutes for smaller beans like black beans. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for one hour.
Rinse beans well. Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with 3 times the amount of water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes un-covered. Skim off any foam that develops on the top as they boil . Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for the appropriate amount of time. Test a few beans for done-ness. Beans should be consistent in colour all the way through. They should be tender and mash between your fingers when squeezed. There should be no hard white part in the middle. Rinse well and enjoy.
Black Beans: 30 minutes
Black-eyed peas: 35 minutes
Lima Beans: 40 minutes
Navy Beans: 40 minutes
Chickpeas: 45 minutes
Kidney Beans: 50 minutes
A few notes: If your house it really warm soak beans in fridge. (Like summer no-AC hot)
Never eat kidney beans raw or under cooked. They contain a toxin that can only be destroyed by the cooking process. But don’t let that scare you off them! They are perfectly safe to eat when cooked all the way through.
If you are adding your beans to a chili or stew you have to pre-cook them.
The Yummy Bowl of Goodness
1 ½ cups organic brown rice
1 ½ cups dried black beans OR 1 large can black beans
2 medium carrots
1 large or 2 small beets
½ cup unsalted peanuts
6 tbsp lime juice, about one lime
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp tamari sauce or soy sauce
1 large clove garlicPepper to taste
Pulling it all together!
The night before measure, sort, and rinse beans. Cover in water and set aside for the night.
1. Measure and rinse brown rice. Cover with 3 cups water and season.
2. Drain and rinse black beans. Place in large saucepan and cover with 4 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil, uncover and boil for 10 minutes. Then skim any foam off and reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. While beans and rice are cooking peel and grate both carrots and beet. Chop apple into 1 cm cubes, place in a bowl and drizzle with a bit of the lime juice. Finely dice cilantro and set aside with peanuts for garnish later.
4. In a jar combine the lime juice, olive oil, tahini, tamari, crushed garlic, and pepper. Mix well.
5. Once beans have cooked, rinse and leave to drain over warm pan so they dry out a bit.
6. In serving bowls layer starting with a ½ brown rice, ½ black beans, grated carrot and beet, apple, mango, drizzle dressing, and top with peanuts and cilantro.
Makes 4 servings